A couple things my guru, Corinne Crabtree, preaches are coming into play hardcore this lately.
- If you want to make a big LASTING change, you have to make several micro-changes to head you down that road.
- Stop shoulding on yourself. (Say it out loud. It’s fun!) (Here’s a link to one of her podcasts focused on shoulding, but she talks about it a lot!)
I want to get up and exercise before work a couple days a week because of my busier schedule does not allow me time to get exercise in after work/school/internship. I put it on my schedule last week twice and it didn’t happen. Wednesday morning the air was delightfully cold and dry and my husband was delightfully warm and snuggly. Yesterday, I just plain didn’t want to get up- and I had a headache. In review, I see super-early-A.M. exercise doesn’t belong on my plan yet until I have practiced getting up at 5:30am. By putting it on my schedule, I am setting myself up for failure and telling myself I don’t have to follow my own schedule. I have spent my entire life quitting on myself and teaching myself how to quit on myself by setting myself up for failure and accepting failure as the truth of who I am. Someone who starts things. Lots of things. So many things. Sad. (<— hahaha @ me channeling my inner Trump).
Back to early morning exercise. I have already made several of the micro-changes needed to get me to this goal…
- I don’t stay up late anymore
- I get up pretty early now already (just not 5:30ish ) in comparison to 2 years ago me who sometimes slept until I had to work at noon. NOON!
- I’ve made exercise part of daily life. I decided long ago on a daily minimum of 15 minutes. Literally everyone has 15 minutes to do SOMETHING- even if bedtime has rolled up on ya… you can do 15 minutes of bedtime yoga. 15 minutes may not seem like much, but 1. 90% of the time I go much longer and 2. 15 minutes is better than zero minutes. 3. Doing this has created a solid foundation for me to build on.
One thing I know Corinne would recommend is an accountability partner. I am fighting this one because, well, shit. I guess because I don’t want to really do it. Damnit. As I type this out, I guess I need to find one. BUT HERE ARE MY GREAT EXCUSES NOT TO….
- I don’t like people. Especially new people. I’m in Corinne’s facebook group and because she did a recent talk on accountability partners, they are all posting asking for partners and stuff and I am like….EW. NO NEW PEOPLE! WHAT IF THEY ARE NEEDY AND WANT TO BE, LIKE…. FRIENDS!!??? GROSS! LOL
- I don’t keep my phone in my room at night, so having someone that texts or calls me at 5:30 isn’t going to work.
- I am barely responsible for my own shit, let alone someone else’s!
- I have Lonnie. (However… you read above and saw how well that has worked out so far)
I just texted my bff Nicole. I think she does morning shit. Is that cheating? Should I be broadening my horizons with that whole ‘new people’ thing? Hmmmm…….
So this week’s plan: Get up at 5:30 every day. Not putting the early morning exercise on the plan this week, but if I feel like it, I’ll do it. But as long as I get up… I’m showing up for myself!