We totally blew summer. And not in a good way. Between the wet, chilly weather that seemed to intentionally time itself to occur on my weekends off, and general laziness, we just did not get in an approved amount of adventures. You know what? It wasn’t laziness, it was chaos. Our house was in disarray for months with Jessi and all her stuff preparing for her big move to Portland, Lonnie’s daily exhaustion doing the work of 10 men every day, grad school stuff, general life stuff. I just let it all clutter my mind and I think I felt like I couldn’t do fun stuff while so much needed to be done… yet I didn’t do the other stuff either, so ended up doing nothing. Super productive. Way to go, Colleen.
This is not to say we did NOTHING… I mean we camped one night, got some kayaking in, took at trip to Boston… ok now I sound stupid whining that we blew summer, but we really did.
MOVING RIGHT ALONG……………
Jessi is happily living in an apartment complex (that looks like it should be hosting Medieval Times dinner shows, lol) in South Portland. Sean is back to school. I am taking a break from grad school and attempting to transfer to UMaine. They hired another guy to take some of the load of Lonnie’s shoulders. My house is CLEAN. Gonna say that one more time. MY. HOUSE. IS. CLEAN!
IT’S ON LIKE DONKEY KONG!! We are going to make up for any HINT of a wasted summer with an EPIC AUTUMN OF AWESOMENESS!!!!!
We even got a head start this past weekend by checking “climb a mountain” off the fall bucket list. Sean really wants to climb Mt Katahdin, but after doing Mt Megunticook this weekend, we had to break it to him that we are NOT EVEN IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD of being in physical condition for Katahdin. Hopefully next year we can make it happen for him! I shouldn’t say “hopefully.” NEXT YEAR WE WILL MAKE IT HAPPEN FOR HIM!
You may notice “exercize is spelled wrong. That’s a little inside joke I habe , with myself. Send help.
My daughter recently said, “Your style is totally boho. You just haven’t embraced it.”
I have no idea what she is talking about, despite her sending me 42 Pins illustrating “boho” and “boho chic”style. The next morning, I snapped her the pic above.
Me: “Is this Boho?”
Jessi: “Sorta, but not really, no. It’s more hipster.”
Me: “Well I am a hipster then.”
Jessi: “No. You’re not.”
Me: “BUT THIS IS HOW I DRESS EVERY DAY AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!”
Fall always gets me thinking about dressing fancier, better, lookin’ cute. I love scarves and boots and sweaters and socks and layers. I love putting makeup on and not sweating it all off in 5 minutes. I love purses and bags that I can’t be bothered with carrying around in the summertime. I love orange and red and gold and brown.
So while I would like to “embrace my boho,” as instructed, and have some sort of fashion direction to help me navigate a world that is a bit unfamiliar to me, I am still not sure “Boho” is who I am. But spending time playing with clothes and makeup and Pinterest has been a very welcome distraction from grad school and work!
On an only slightly related note… This morning I tried a sample of Urban Decay foundation that Jessi left behind when she moved and it may have been life changing. Which sucks because that shit ain’t cheap…..
Instead of blogging, I have been……………..
- working working working! Things are busy in crisis-land these days! (and so much of my job is writing, the LAST thing I want to do on my downtime is write some more!)
- a little –very little– running
- getting a kitten (who is right now adorably distracting me by playing with a piece of fuzz)
- celebrating a kid turning 20!
- teaching the other kid to cook
- learning new recipes
- turning a coffee table into an ottoman— still a work in progress
- playing with my camera and Lightroom
- watching football on TV …and in real life, GO MAINE!
- dabbling in Scrapbooking
- planning our next vacation
- researching places to live when we move in a few years! (Right now Pittsburgh, Phoenix, Texas, South Carolina, and Richmond, VA are the top contenders)
- sleeping til noon (Hey… it’s genetic! I can remember staying with with my Nana and Grampy and waiting… and waiting… and waiting for Nana to get up and ‘put her face on’)
|Happy Birthday, Jessi!!!