We have been going back-and-forth about this one for MONTHS now! A couple weeks ago we even were in contact with a Golden Retriever breeder and were going to go that weekend to pick up a pup. ….But the breeder was a little weird and over-eager and frankly kind of obnoxious, so I got cold feet and we decided to wait until spring. Another reason I got cold feet was that once I had made the decision to pull the trigger and get a puppy. I immediately was like… “Whoa…. this is my last day of freedom. Do I really want to walk a dog in 3 feet of snow? In the Rain? In 1 degree?” So for about two weeks I was in nope-I-don’t-want-a-dog mode. And now that has worn off again and I am once again suffering from puppy fever.
So since blogging has helped me in the past to cut through my cluttered mind…. here we go!
Reasons I want a dog:
- I want a dog to walk/run with me.
- Having a dog that I ‘have to walk’ is motivating to get me off my ass
- I want a dog to snuggle on the couch in the evenings (for the snuggles and for the distraction from wanting to snack on the couch which is the bane of my existence)
- Jessi is leaving for college soon and I think I am trying to fill that ‘hole’ in my soul… and probably seeking distractions
- Lonnie and I are not having kids of our own and couples like that ALWAYS get a puppy instead 😉
- Dogs are fun and entertaining and make me laugh!
- When the weather is less-than-ideal taking a dog out to the bathroom sucks ass.
- Things can go wrong…. and get expensive.
- There is a lot more poop and puke in your life when you have a dog.
- Lonnie and I like out freedom and often go away on the weekends to Portland… camping… etc. With a dog we will always have to find a sitter or go someplace where dogs are welcome.
- Lonnie is worried that his elderly dog will get even less attention than he gets now, so of course I will worry about that too and become the Give-Avalanche-Attention-Nazi. (When frankly, Ave is not really an attention-wanting dog. He’s old and he’s tired.)